Tuesday 16 February 2010

Balka at the Tate Modern

I managed to scrape myself out of my nice warm flat on Sunday to visit the Tate for some design inspiration. It was quite blustery on the old Millenium bridge, and Chloe nearly froze as I insisted on taking some pictures (I've become very snap happy with my new camera).


Once inside we unwrapped our layers and took a wander. Luckily, there was an installation in the turbine hall, 'How It Is' by Miroslaw Balka, which is the most surreal experience I've encountered with interactive art in a long time. It reminded me of a huge cattle transporting box, the scale is so big it almost reaches the ceiling of the hall, you can just make it out in one of the pictures below. As you walk into the pitch blackness you feel as though everything around you is going to cave in, especially the floor, but then you turn around to the light and the comfort comes flooding back and makes everyone's silhouettes look amazing against the backdrop of the industrial walls. Although it was very creepy i'd definitely recommend going, if only to scare yourself for a split second!

To read more about the installation click here.

2 comments:

Caio Fern said...

i would love to go now and see it ....
the problem is that all the time i see things like this ... i finish saying :
"and.... so what ?"

I am inspired said...

I love interactive art so it's great finding something on your travels but this is only a 5 minute experience so if you're in the area definitely pop along.