Saturday 25 October 2014

Malevich at the Tate Modern.....

A friend of mine offered me a free ticket to the Malevich exhibition at the Tate Modern so we packed up the kiddies, jumped on a train on a very wet Monday and headed on down to check it out. I wasn't too familiar with his work only knowing that he was a revolutionary Russian painter but on first entering there were familiar signs and similarities to the Russian Constructivist's.



I found it one of the most inspiring exhibitions I've been to in a long time. His images made from pure geometric forms reminded me of Marcel Duchamp's work but more vibrant and seemed to shout from the walls. These were also a great hit with the kids especially trying to work out what we could see in the pictures, Eloise thought she could see firemen everywhere!

He is probably most famous for his black square, above, which I thought sounded a bit ridiculous but it was incredibly moving and emotional.

 

His suprematism room was also incredibly powerful as each painting seemed to be teetering on the edge of collapse.

"Art should remain a spiritual activity"

After an emotional roller coaster from the exhibition we then went to Tas Pide, near Shakespeare's Globe, for some lovely meze where my little ones created their own work of art on the table cloths with the food!

No comments: